[EM] Anyone got a good analysis on limitations of approval and range voting?

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 15:49:13 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm
<km-elmet at broadpark.no> wrote:
>> The recommended strategy in approval is to approve one of the top 2
>> and also any other candidates who are above your approval threshold.
>
> That's strategy T. Some times (see Rob LeGrand's dissertation defense
> slides) a "strategy A" is better: approve all that you like better than
> whoever's getting the most Plurality votes, and approve of him as well if
> you prefer him to the one in second place on the Plurality count.

Strategy A, as you defined it, is almost equivalent to just setting
the threshold to the utility of the expected winner.

> (I think it's a Plurality count. Late here, so "vote-getter" may refer to
> Approval votes - I'm not sure.)

I don't think that actually matters much.  They should be roughly the same.

The main point is that the top-2 candidates are the 2 candidates who
are most likely to tie, so you should approve one of them and not the
other.