[EM] Fw: About non-monotonicity and non-responding to previous posts...

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 6 15:04:13 PST 2009

It depends how you define monotonicity (Mono-add-top; mono-add-plump;
mono-later-no-harm; ...).

I consider that the spoiler effect is a special case of non-monotonicity.
With FPTP, you can easily let your third choice win by voting for your
first choice
while you could have got your second choice elected by voting for him.
If you only want to consider monotonicity in regard to your first
choice, you argue that FPTP is monotonic, which is right using that
definition.

"with an IRV system a voter who votes for his first choice (instead of
no voting) could harm the candidate’s chance of winning..."
This statement is false.
"with an IRV system a voter who votes for his first choice (instead of
another of its preferred candidate) could harm the candidate’s chance of
winning..."
This is the statement that is right.
Without the details in parenthesis, the statement is vague.

This is my understanding:

#1) If one considers voting for a preference instead of another => IRV
can behave non-monotonically but most of the time is monotonic;
#2) If one considers voting for a preference instead of not voting =>
IRV can behave non-monotonically but most of the time is monotonic;
#3) If one considers voting for a first choice instead of not voting and
the outcome without voting is not the elector first choice
=> IRV can behave non-monotonically but most of the time is monotonic;
#4) If one considers voting for a first choice instead of not voting and
the outcome without voting is the elector first choice
=> IRV cannot behave non-monotonically.

Thus, using IRV, a voter can harm the result of an election by going to
vote for his first choice, but if he does go vote for his first choice
instead of
staying home it cannot hurt the election of his first choice, he can
only hurt the election of another more preferred candidate that could
(rarely) lose to a least preferred candidate.

The terminology often used to summarized could be interpreted as
describing the last case (#4) which is the only monotonic behaviour of IRV.

Stéphane Rouillon, ing., Ph.D.