[EM] Fw: About non-monotonicity and non-responding to previous posts...

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Thu Nov 5 08:59:19 PST 2009

Terry and all,

I, too,am interested in Stephane's explanation. Meanwhile, I thought he
was referring to a different way of broadening the notion of
monotonicity. I understood him to be saying that, because of strategic
voting, the relationship between true preferences and outcome is
non-monotonic even when the relationship between votes cast and outcome
is monotonic. In any case, this is how I understand David Austen-Smith
and Jeffrey Banks, "Monotonicity in Electoral Systems", American
Political Science Review, Vol. 85, No. 2 (June 1991): 531-537. As I
understand it, this important paper argues that, when monotonicity is
defined relative to true preferences, and when the legislative process
is considered in combination with the voting rule, monotonicity becomes
a non-issue.

--Bob Richard

Terry Bouricius wrote:
> Stephane,
>
> In what way are you calling FPTP vote-splitting non-monotonic? It is
> normally considered monotonic in that a voter raising the rank of a
> candidate to number 1 can never hurt that candidate. Are you using the
> broader non-standard definition of monotonicity that some particular
> election method advocates have started using...where raising the rank of a
> candidate to number 1 may hurt that VOTER'S interests (rather than that
> first ranked CANDIDATE) by causing the election of that voter's least
> favorite candidate. I have feel that is an overly broad expansion of the
> concept of monotonicity, that some have seized on so they could claim
> there are examples of non-monotonicity where there really aren't.
>
> While I am one of those who thinks monotonicity is of relatively small
> practical importance compared to certain other criterion, I think our
> terminology definitions need to be standardized to allow us to understand
> each other...and I would say IRV is a non-monotonic system and FPTP is
> monotonic. Can you show that this is wrong?
>
> Terry Bouricius

Bob Richard
Executive Vice President
Californians for Electoral Reform