[EM] STV and weighted positional methods

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Jan 30 21:56:25 PST 2009

The war here is over IRV/STV, which Kathy attacks, Terry defends, and I
agree that kathy should win.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:57:10 -0700 Kathy Dopp wrote:
>>From: "Terry Bouricius" <terryb at burlingtontelecom.net>
>>Subject: Re: [EM] STV and weighted positional methods
>

>>What is even more puzzling is Ms. Dopp's continued defense of plurality
>>voting.

I chased this one a bit:
      Did not see Kathy doing such.
      Did not see her attacking Condorcet as if Plurality was better than
that (Condorcet interests me).

Stumbled on something Terry wrote Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:37:01 -0500:
      It seems suspect for a method to fail to elect a candidate
      when a majority prefers that candidate to all other candidates.

Let's see:
      3 A>B>C
      4 B>A>C
      5 C>A>B

A liked better than B?  YES 8>4
A liked better than C?  YES 7>5
A liked better than all other candidates?  YES - B&C is all other.

IRV elects B!
Condorcet elects A.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.