[EM] STV and weighted positional methods

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 14:52:58 PST 2009

Kathy Dopp  > Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:08 PM
> I see that what you are suggesting as a change to STV such as
> using the Borda method does seem to be a *lot* better than
> current implementations of STV,

Now THAT really would be an improvement.  Borda can fail to elect the majority winner even when that winner has an absolute majority
of first preference votes.  Don't take my word for it  -  see the examples in Robert Newland's book "Comparative Electoral Systems"
(published 1982, ISBN 0 903278 07 3).  [Robert A Newland was a senior lecturer in Mathematics at the City University, London,
England.]

James Gilmour