[EM] Feature extraction and criteria for multiwinner elections

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sat Jan 3 18:18:37 PST 2009

See below for the context.

I thought aloud a few years ago that one way to select a "winning ranked
ballot" would be to find the ballot that is "most like" the consensus
ballot. Order the candidates by their Bucklin rank and ballots by the
Kendall tau "distance" that each ballot is from the Bucklin rank. The ballot
with the least tau distance from the medians is then used to decide the
election.

(Based upon a science fiction short-story from the 1950s, but reasonable
from a mathematical perspective.)