[EM] The Ultimate Lottery Method!

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jan 5 10:51:10 PST 2009

Ballots are ratings with a minimum possible rating of zero.

Ballots with all zero ratings are thrown out as not valid.

The lottery probabilities are chosen so as to maximize the product of the
expected ratings over the ballots.

This method is (1) monotone, (2) clone free, and (3) gives proportional
probability to stubborn voters.  (4) Each ballot has equal weight in determining
the winning probabilities. (5) Good opportunities for cooperation are not wasted
by this method. (6) There is little if any incentive for insincere ratings.

I'll back up some of these claims in my next message.

FWS