[EM] Fwd: Some chance for consensus revisited: Most simple solution

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Tue Feb 10 14:53:18 PST 2009

Hi Raph,

this was suggested before, but I can't remember by whom. The problem is,
as you have noted, that the method gives everyone an incentive to reduce
her approvals for non-favourites as long as this doesn't change the
approval order.

For example, consider our example in which the true utilities are
    55: A(100) > C(70) >> B(0)
    45: B(100) > C(70) >> A(0).
With the suggested method, the resulting approval score of C will not be
100 (which would be desirable and would be the result under D2MAC, e.g.)
but would rather be only 56. This is because if it would be larger than
56, any voter who approves of C will have an incentive to not approve of
C as this would transfer some probability from C to her favourite.

Your 50%-modification will not change the above flaw, I'm afraid, since
C is nobody's favourite anyway.

Yours, Jobst