[EM] Fwd: Some chance for consensus revisited: Most simple solution

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:12:15 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Jobst Heitzig <heitzig-j at web.de> wrote:
> For example, consider our example in which the true utilities are
>   55: A(100) > C(70) >> B(0)
>   45: B(100) > C(70) >> A(0).
> With the suggested method, the resulting approval score of C will not be 100
> (which would be desirable and would be the result under D2MAC, e.g.) but
> would rather be only 56. This is because if it would be larger than 56, any
> voter who approves of C will have an incentive to not approve of C as this
> would transfer some probability from C to her favourite.

I don't think that is correct.

Assuming that only 1 of B's faction compromises, the votes would be

55: A*, C
1: B*, C
44: B*

C wins round 1 and C's pile becomes
55: A* + C
1: B*+C

The 50% rule kicks in as the A* ballots make up more than 50%.  54 of
the A*+C ballots are removed from the pile to balance it.

This is converted to
1: A*+C
1: B*+C

The remaining ballots are
54: A*+C
44: B*

These just form 2 piles as there is no common candidates between the 2
sets of ballots.  The result is