[EM] Fwd: Some chance for consensus revisited: Most simple solution

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 04:08:59 PST 2009

I have including the EM alias

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM,  <fsimmons at pcc.edu> wrote:
> I like this concept, but I'm not sure exactly how to combine it with the above
> "tyranny free" method.  I'm sure it is worth pursuing.

I was thinking:

- Each voter marks a favourite and approved compromises

1) Find the approval winner

2) Place all ballots which approve that winner in a pile and assign it
to the approval winner

3) Repeat the process excluding any ballots which have been assigned to a pile

4) When all the ballots are assigned to a pile, pick a ballot at random

5) The candidate associated with the pile the ballot was picked from
is declared the winner

Notes:

Step 4 could just be pick a pile with each pile having a weighting
equal to the number of ballots in the pile

Piles smallers than a threshold could be excluded.  In that case, the
voters corresponding to those piles should be allowed to reassign
their probability.  For example, they could rank the candidates and
their ballot would be assigned to the pile of the highest ranked
candidate.

A bullet voter would automatically create/be assigned to a pile for
his candidate, since he hasn't approved any other candidate, so the
ballot cannot be assigned to a different pile.

The favourite marking doesn't actually have any effect in this method.

However, it doesn't handle the generic case well though.

55: A(100) B(70) C(0)
45: A(0) B(70) C(100)

If the 45 faction votes

5: B+C