[EM] 'Shulze (Votes For)' definition?

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 14 06:42:11 PDT 2009

Kevin,

>Or does it mean something that can be
>read purely from the pairwise matrix?

"It's the latter, read from the matrix. "Absolute number" is in contrast to
using margin or ratio."

Thanks for that, but it isn't the concept of "absolute number" that I'm having
trouble with.

What I don't understand is the difference between "winning votes" (which I'm
familiar with) and "votes for",  as they are both defined on page 13 of Marcus
Shulze's paper, pasted below.

http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze1.pdf

<snip>

Example 3 (
by winning votes, then the strength is measured primarily by the absolute number
N[e,f] of votes for the winner of this pairwise defeat.

<snip>
 Example 5 (
votes for candidate e. votes for): When the strength of the pairwise defeat ef is measured by
votes for, then the strength is measured primarily by the absolute number N[e,f] of winning votes): When the strength of the pairwise defeat ef is measured

<snip>
Chris Benham