[EM] 'Shulze (Votes For)' definition?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Fri Aug 14 06:45:08 PDT 2009

Chris Benham wrote:
> What I don't understand is the difference between "winning votes" (which I'm
> familiar with) and "votes for",  as they are both defined on page 13 of
> Marcus
> Shulze's paper, pasted below.
>

> http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze1.pdf
>
> <snip>
>

> Example 3 (/winning votes/): When the strength of the pairwise defeat
> /ef /is measured
>
> by /winning votes/, then the strength is measured primarily by the
> absolute number
>
> N[/e/,/f/] of votes for the winner of this pairwise defeat.
>
> Example 5 (/votes for/): When the strength of the pairwise defeat /ef
> /is measured by
> /votes for/, then the strength is measured primarily by the absolute
> number N[/e/,/f/] of
>
> votes for candidate /e/.

I'm not Markus (or Kevin), but "votes for" sounds like pairwise
opposition. That is, the strength of "e beats f" is the number of voters
who prefer e to f, whereas for wv, the strength of "e beats f" is the
number of voters who prefer e to f if this is greater than the number of
voters who prefer f to e, otherwise zero.