[EM] NPV vs Condorcet

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Wed Oct 22 09:12:20 PDT 2008

I'm obviously missing something really, really basic here. Can someone
explain to me what it is?

 > Take it from the FPTP count and recount it
 > into the N*N array by Condorcet rules ...

I still have no idea what this means. Here's an example:

Plurality result:
   Able: 45
   Baker: 40
   Charlie: 15

Here's a (very naive) NxN matrix (fixed-width font required):

         Able     Baker    Charlie
         -------  -------  -------
Able        --       45       45
Baker       40       --       40
Charlie     15       15       --

But it's not a Condorcet count because we have, for example, no idea how
many of the Able voters prefer Baker to Charlie and how many prefer
Charlie to Baker. As a result, the pairs of cells above and below the
diagonal don't add up to 100. I still don't see how we can "recount it
into the NxN matrix by Condorcet rules".

Someone please show me the NxN matrix that Dave Ketchum would use to
combine these votes with the other votes that had been cast on ranked
ballots.

Thanks,
Bob

--