[EM] NPV vs Condorcet

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 21 08:05:40 PDT 2008

Hallo,

Dave Ketchum wrote (20 Oct 2008):

> It may be difficult, but useless to claim impossible.
> Could start the thinking by considering weighting
> the votes from the small states, consistent with
> the advantage they get via the Electoral College.

Here is my recommendation (how the votes of the voters
in small states could be weighted in a Condorcet
system):

1. Each voter gets a complete list of all candidates
   and ranks these candidates in order of preference.
   The individual voter may give the same preference
   to more than one candidate and he may keep candidates
   unranked. When a given voter does not rank all
   candidates, then this means (1) that this voter
   strictly prefers all ranked candidates to all
   not ranked candidates and (2) that this voter
   is indifferent between all not ranked candidates.

2. For each pair of candidates A and B separately,
   we determine how many electoral votes E[A,B]
   candidate A would get and how many electoral
   votes E[B,A] candidate B would get when only
   these two candidates were running.

3. To determine the final winner, we apply a Condorcet
   method to the matrix E[X,Y].

Markus Schulze