[EM] NPV vs Condorcet

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 06:02:47 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Terry Bouricius
<terryb at burlingtontelecom.net> wrote:
> 1. The Senate does not need to be involved in amending the constitution.
> 2/3 of the state legislatures can initiate an amendment that then needs
> ratification by 3/4 of the states.

The convention route is not that simple.  It is not known how it would
operate.  Potentially, the convention could propose an entirely new
constitution.  Requesting a convention is a method to push Congress to
propose their own amendment.

> 2. Small states may indeed be convinced to abolish the electoral college.
> My own state, the tiny Vermont, passed the National Popular Vote compact
> (but it was vetoed by the governor), and arguably, Vermont "benefits" from
> the current dsiproportionality built into the electoral college more than
> any other state. But because of the battle-ground-state-focus of
> presidential elections, Vermont has no felt impact on the presidential
> selection process at all. The candidates only appeal to swing voters in
> swing states.

That is the kind of thing I was thinking of.