[EM] NPV vs Condorcet

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Tue Oct 21 05:40:56 PDT 2008

Two small corrections on the U.S. electoral college amendment issue:

1. The Senate does not need to be involved in amending the constitution.
2/3 of the state legislatures can initiate an amendment that then needs
ratification by 3/4 of the states.

2. Small states may indeed be convinced to abolish the electoral college.
My own state, the tiny Vermont, passed the National Popular Vote compact
(but it was vetoed by the governor), and arguably, Vermont "benefits" from
the current dsiproportionality built into the electoral college more than
any other state. But because of the battle-ground-state-focus of
presidential elections, Vermont has no felt impact on the presidential
selection process at all. The candidates only appeal to swing voters in
swing states.

Terry Bouricius