[EM] NPV vs Condorcet

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Mon Oct 20 19:51:55 PDT 2008

 >     Some states may not be up to Condorcet instantly.  Let them stay
with FPTP
 >      until they are ready to move up.  Just as a Condorcet voter can
choose to rank
 >     only a single candidate, for a state full of such the counters
can translate FPTP
 >     results into an N*N array.

What would enforcing the truncation of rankings (to a single ranking)
for part of the electorate -- but not the rest -- do to the formal
(social choice theoretic) properties of any given Condorcet method?
Would the effect be the same for all Condorcet-compliant voting methods?

In fact, would this arrangement be valid for any ranked or cardinal
voting method? Arguably, in the U.S. your opponents could take this to
court as a violation of one-person-one-vote.

--Bob

--
Bob Richard
Marin Ranked Voting