[EM] NPV vs Condorcet

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Oct 20 19:37:25 PDT 2008

Was:  Re: [EM] Making a Bad Thing Worse

Is the Electoral College recognized as having lived ot its useful life?  If
so, perhaps we could do up a worthwhile constitutional amendment.

Should we not desperately try to get FPTP out of this?

I suggest three parts for the heart of this:
      Like NPV we want to count a national election.
      FPTP deserves burial - USE Condorcet.
      Some states may not be up to Condorcet instantly.  Let them stay with
FPTP until they are ready to move up.  Just as a Condorcet voter can choose
to rank only a single candidate, for a state full of such the counters can
translate FPTP results into an N*N array.

DWK

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:27:50 +0200 Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> Jonathan Lundell wrote:
>
>> All of this would be finessed by the National Popular Vote idea:
>> http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/
>>
>> It'd effectively result in a national FPTP plurality election, hardly
>> ideal, but definitely an improvement.
>>
>> The Electoral College is, btw, a good example of a case in which an
>> election method has a profound and obvious effect on the nature of the
>> campaign. US presidential candidates have no motivation to campaign in
>> California, New York, Texas, and many other states (they show up for
>> fundraising events, but that's about it). If California is close,
>> Obama has surely lost the election, and similarly Texas and McCain.
>> The states in play vary somewhat over time, but I rather imagine
>> contain a minority of the electorate.
>

> Could the national popular vote lead to a similar effect, only opposite?
> The candidates would have an incentive to visit the cities, because they
> could reach many voters in little time; and thus the effect would move
> from being biased away from cities (in the large states) to being biased
> towards them.
>
> Better might be a weighted vote (but who'd set the weights?).
                  If you want peace, work for justice.