[EM] Worst Voting Method

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 17 07:42:02 PDT 2008

>Very bad is the Supplementary Vote used to elect some
>mayors in the  UK.   It is like the Contingent Vote  (one trip to
>the polls TTR) except voters are only allowed to rank 2 candidates.

Kevin Venzke wrote:

I don't see how this is "very bad." I could see how you might think it
is easily improved. But is this method better or worse than Approval? Is
it better or worse than FPP?

Kevin,
The question of the precise ranking of  the worst single-winner methods
doesn't interest me very much. I just mentioned it as a method in use with
absurd arbitrary features/restrictions that is dominated (in terms of useful criterion
compliances) by IRV.

To reluctantly answer your question I suppose it isn't worse than FPP  and
is probably worse than Approval.

I'd be much more interested in your reaction to my recent "Range-Approval
hybrid" suggested methods, which after all use the concept of  "Approval
Opposition" which you invented.

Chris Benham