[EM] Range > Condorcet (No idea who started this argument, sorry; I am Gregory Nisbet)

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sat Oct 11 06:43:53 PDT 2008

Greg,

If one limits criteria to the few you selected, Range "looks" good. I will set aside for the moment the fundamental issue of whether mixing different individuals' different scoring standards can convey any real meaning ( the difference in candidate "quality" between candidates you score 8 and 10 may be ten times greater than the difference your neighbor assigns to candidates scored 2 and 10), and just speak about other criteria.

Personally, I agree that the Condorcet-winner criterion is not as significant as it sounds (we may not be looking at a single solid majority, but rather antagonistic divergent majorities). I think the mutual-majority criterion is more significant (and Range violates it).  However, I think the Condorcet-loser criterion is a show stopper. If a candidate would lose in every single one-on-one match up, then that candidate should not win. But such a Condorcet loser can indeed win under Range voting.

I also believe the later-no-harm criterion is of crucial importance, which Range fails.

Range is more prone to strategic voting manipulation than either IRV or Condorcet (see analysis by James Green-Armytage in his doctoral paper  linked on this list a couple of months ago).

Range is also more prone to spoiler scenarios than IRV or Condorcet-compliant methods, because the score a voter assigns is dependent on what other candidates are, or are not in the race to compare with.

Beyond the realm of standard criteria, I am also concerned about the effect different voting methods have on candidate campaign behavior, and resulting voter information. Some voting methods discourage candidates from revealing their true positions on controversial issues, if avoiding voter alienation is more crucial than earning first-preference support (this can be true of both Range and Condorcet).

Terry Bouricius