[EM] FW: IRV Challenge - Press Announcement

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 7 15:46:43 PDT 2008

Hallo,

Kathy Dopp wrote (7 Oct 2008):

> My affidavit for Plaintiffs suing to stop the
> adoption of Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) in
> Minneapolis, MN, as well as Plaintiffs' briefs
> in the legal case, are posted at
>
> http://electionmathematics.org
>
> at the top of the "Instant Runoff Voting" page.

I browsed through the links of that site. It is
interesting to see that FairVote Minnesota is
planning to use the claim, that all election
methods violate monotonicity, even at court.

They write: "The non-monotonicity argument is
irrelevant because it applies to all voting
systems." See:

http://www.fairvotemn.org/sites/fairvotemn.org/files/IRV%20lawsuit_FVM%20Reply_0.pdf

And here they argue that IRV's violation of
monotonicity results from Arrow's Theorem:

http://www.fairvotemn.org/sites/fairvotemn.org/files/IRV%20lawsuit_City%20Reply.pdf

Markus Schulze