[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 13:33:31 PDT 2008

Kathy Dopp  > Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:17 PM
> It seems to me that most of the persons on this list would
> rather have votes fraudulently counted using some alternative
> voting scheme that requires an unverifiable unauditable
> electronic voting system, than accurately counted using the
> plurality election method.
>
> Curious.

No, Kathy, it is not at all curious.  I, and I suspect many others, would much rather have our votes counted by a system that gave
effect to most of the votes cast but had a low risk of undetected fraud than to have them counted by plurality that routinely gives
effect to only 50% of the votes cast and still has some risk of undetected fraud.  The small increase in the risk of undetected
fraud, undesirable though it may be, is totally outweighed by the massive gain in effective representation of the voters.

James