[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 13:16:39 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:

>> In fact some computer scientists just recently mathematically PROVED
>> that it is impossible to even verify that the certified software is
>> actually running on a voting machine.
>
> Tell us more, a bit more convincingly as to fact behind this opinion -
> assuming proper defenses.

Here is the info. I have not read the proof yet myself:

"In 'An Undetectable Computer Virus,' David Chess and Steven White show
that you can always create a vote changing program (called virus
there) that no "verification software" can ever detect.

---

It seems to me that most of the persons on this list would rather have
votes fraudulently counted using some alternative voting scheme that
requires an unverifiable unauditable electronic voting system, than
accurately counted using the plurality election method.

Curious.

Cheers,

Kathy