[EM] Idea for a free web service for (relatively) secure online voting

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Sat Oct 4 21:00:16 PDT 2008

Hi Mike(s),

I hadn't seen zelea.com before. It looks interesting but I'm not sure
how to use it to actually run a vote on something.

I run
http://betterpolls.com/
which is generally designed to take votes from random people on the
internet, but can also do registered-voters-only.
I think it's pretty straightfoward to put up a new poll on something
and then it's automatically counted by several of this community's
favorite methods (Condorcet with CSSD, Approval, Simple Rating
Summation, and my 'Instant Runoff Normalized Ratings' concoction, and
there's a handy Histogram which I'm always fascinated to look at).

It's also under development by me and suggestions, feature requests
and bug reports are welcome.

'modern security features' like I see at banks could be done, but I
don't know if they really make sense to be applied to voting. Super-
openness could be done, but right now it's easier for me to just claim
I'm a nice guy and ask for a little trust. betterpolls.com supports
downloading anonymized raw vote data if you want to do a recount, but
it doesn't do anything fancy to prove that everything was actually
recorded correctly. No certificates for the voter to hang on to or
anything. And I'm not sure there's consensus from the crypto&security
community on what the right thing to do for net voting is anyway.
Rivest's three-ballot might be the best thing I've seen.