[EM] Why I Prefer IRV to Condorcet

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 11:30:40 PST 2008

--- On Tue, 25/11/08, Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I agree that resistance to Burying is atractive and  IRV's big selling
> point versus Condorcet methods.

Yes, this may be the strongest selling argument of IRV
against Condorcet. But I think this doesn't yet mean
that Condorcet methods would in real life be vulnerable
to burying. Use of burial may require good understanding
of the opinions of others and good coordination, and may
include risks, and requires many voters to accept the
idea of strategic voting. My hope thus is that these
threats would mostly remain theoretical.

Juho