[EM] Why I Prefer IRV to Condorcet

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sun Nov 23 11:21:53 PST 2008

Greg wrote:
> I have written up my reasons for preferring IRV over Condorcet methods
> in an essay, the current draft of which is available here:
>   http://www.gregdennis.com/voting/irv_vs_condorcet.html
>
> I welcome any comments you have.

I'll try to do so, then. Note that I support Condorcet.

Regarding reason number one, it is true that if there are minor parties
that make no difference, IRV will act as if they didn't exist. That is;
as long as they get a smaller share of the votes than any of those who
would matter, they are excluded. However, as soon as a former minor
third party grows large enough, it destabilizes IRV. You can see this in
  the Yee diagrams for IRV, where the borders near candidates become
noisy (and this noise some times travels well into the regions of the
candidates themselves). This may be what you're conceding regarding
center squeeze, but the problem is not only the third party's, it's all
the participants', since the destabilization turns IRV a lot more random
(because of the amplifying nature of the elimination).

IRV may elect Condorcet winners, but if you accept that electing
Condorcet winners is a good thing, then simple tweaks will make IRV even
better: one may check for a Condorcet winner (among the remaining
candidates) after each elimination, or eliminate the one of the two
bottom rated that loses the pairwise contest between the two. Also, the
picture may be false: if we were to count Plurality elections as
Condorcet elections, one of the two major parties would undoubtedly be
the Condorcet winner according to the ballots, but this is merely
because of strategy.

Regarding number two, simple Condorcet methods exist. Borda-elimination
(Nanson or Raynaud) is Condorcet. Minmax is quite simple, and everybody
who's dealt with sports knows Copeland (with Minmax tiebreaks). I'll
partially grant this, though, since the good methods are complex, but
I'll ask whether you think MAM (Ranked Pairs(wv)) is too complex. In
MAM, you take all the pairwise contests, sort by strength, and affirm
down the list unless you would contradict an earlier affirmed contest.
This method is cloneproof, monotonic, etc...

Perhaps you could explain it in that "say A won. B's supporters are
going to say "but some people preferred B to A!". Then you can say, but
more people preferred C to B and A to C". I'm not sure, there may be
better explanations.

Even if so, this does provide a hard choice, though. I'll grant that,
since as far as Condorcet methods have momentum as election methods,
Schulze has the most. I wonder if there are simpler heuristics for
Schulze than beatpaths. Schulze's mentioned the Schwartz set heuristic
(which I think would be hard to explain) and the arborescence heuristic
(which I don't know what is).

There's also the observation that voters may not need to know the
method. Some counties in New Zealand use Meek STV, which basically uses
a convergence algorithm to determine the weights of the ballots after a
candidate is elected. That's quite complex, yet they still use it.

Regarding the third and fourth, I'll again say that some Condorcet
methods are more resistant to burial than others. The IRV modifications
I talked about earlier resists burial - Chris Benham showed that the
"check for a Condorcet winner" modification passes "mutual dominant
third burial resistance", meaning that you can't bury a candidate that
would be in the honest mutual dominant third set. Unfortunately, the
modification is also nonmonotonic (like IRV is). While I'll have to
grant this, I'll say that pushover isn't that unintuitive. Imagine a
runoff; now stack the deck against your opponent by making the method
elect those who would split your opponent's vote. The randomness or
chaos of IRV, as mentioned in the first point response, may make this
more difficult than one would expect, but to the extent that is true,
IRV suffers from the chaos itself.

Also, you use examples to show that by demanding core support, IRV gets
rid of unknowns. However, IRV can fail to elect candidates with
significant core support. Warren has an example of that at
http://rangevoting.org/CoreSupp.html .

Regarding number five, I would think that IRV would limit Condorcet
rather than making it feasible. Consider the case where IRV is passed
but nothing significant happens to the distribution of power. Then we
say "Hey, IRV is bad, but give us a chance, try Condorcet". The voters
may readily say "you got your chance, and election methods don't seem to
matter anyway, we just get two party rule". In addition, if IRV doesn't
do anything, we're still left with a two party regime, and those parties
will be very interested in blocking Condorcet. To the extent applicable,
the Australian House of Representatives election may show whether IRV
supports multiple parties: in this case, it doesn't seem to do so (the
House usually being populated by three parties, but the National and
Liberal parties are usually grouped together as they stay in the same
coalition). I add he qualifier "to the extent applicable" because one
could argue that other features of the Australian system, such as
compulsory full ranking and how-to-vote cards, is the cause of this.

The Australian example can also be used against number six -- if it is
IRV that's the problem. If IRV supports few parties, it won't really
help in trying to change a two-party system into a multiparty one. In
the best case, we have Ireland, where the president has little effective
power, so that the STV component (which is much better than per-district
IRV, in my opinion) prevails. In worse cases, we have the Australian
outcome, with multiple parties in one body (the Senate) but not in the
other (the House). In the worst case, there would be no STV component at
all.

I'll grant the point about Condorcet multiwinner elections. This, in my
opinion, means that we should try to find a good (polytime) multiwinner
election method that reduces to Condorcet. CPO-STV is too complex, and
Schulze STV needs a lot of space (to my knowledge). I'll also note that
it's possible to make multiwinner versions of other non-Condorcet
methods; I did so with Bucklin, for instance.

The seventh point is good if you agree with the fifth, but not if you
don't. I don't, so I think this could be a problem. At least we'll get
STV if your sixth point is true, but even that may not be. As for the
unintuitive nature of Condorcet, Ranked Pairs seems pretty intuitive to
me (with the "complaints rebuffed by stronger complaints" nature); even
if not, everybody knows about tournaments and Copeland, and even if not,
I think IRV should be strengthened by the simple modifications if
Condorcet compliance is important (as you have said it is).

-

This reply has not considered the direct advantages of most Condorcet
methods, like being countable in districts (when using matrices at
least) or being monotonic. Those should also be acknowledged; Condorcet
has some weaknesses (like burial problems, except a few methods), but
IRV has others, and I think they are more serious.