[EM] polls and manipulation

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 11:50:18 PST 2008

I assumed that the poll is just some regular
poll before the election. The final votes will
most probably be different, but probably not
too much different.

I agree that the results of polls may be all
over the map. That may be because of changes
in the opinions, changes in the way the questions
are presented, too small sample size etc. It
is also possible to publish strategic polls (with
biased/falsified information) with the intention
to influence the opinions, or the strategies that
others will use. And it is possible to refer to
those polls that one wants.

The fact that polls are inaccurate, conflicting,
and can not fully predict the opinions on the
election day has also an impact on the strategic
opportunities. Strategies that require detailed
knowledge of the opinions (and maybe also good
central control of the strategic voters) and that
may backfire are often too difficult to handle in
real life elections. Many Condorcet examples /
strategic opportunities fall in this category.
Also many IRV strategies may fall in this category.

For these reasons I like the idea of presenting the
strategic cases as example cases from real life
(not as theoretical extreme cases on paper, or only
as theoretical on/off criteria without considering
their negative impact and probability of success in
real life elections). Of course strategies will
also always be based on (inaccurate) polls, not e.g.
on exact knowledge on the ballots and ability to
change those ballots that one wants, and to keep
other ballots unchanged.

The inaccuracy of polls is thus often a positive
thing since it makes successful implementation of
strategies in may cases impractical.

Juho