[EM] Why I Prefer IRV to Condorcet

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 11:50:06 PST 2008

--- On Sat, 22/11/08, Greg <greg at somervilleirv.org> wrote:

> Perhaps intuitiveness is a bit in the eyes of the beholder,
> but I'll
> tell you the strategies I find intuitive:
>
> - Burying a candidate with strong first choice support

Yes. This is close to the case that I discussed.
I didn't assume strong first choice support but
just any strength (e.g. being close to a Condorcet
winner).

> - Bullet voting for a candidate with strong first choice
> support

Yes. (Also any other strength ok, or one could
bullet vote one's own not-so-strong favourite.)

> - A compromise in which you switch your first choice vote
> to a
> candidate who has stronger first choice support.

Yes. (Again strong first choice support typical
but not necessary.)

> From anecdotal personal experience, I actually think
> burying might be
> the most intuitive of them all.

Yes, may be.

> Almost every university
> election I
> voted for as an undergraduate used IRV. After each one,
> there was
> often a person here or there who claimed to have voted for
> one
> front-runner and buried the other front-runner on their
> ballot, not
> aware that this had no effect on the outcome. Now, as I go
> around
> teaching IRV to people, there's often some guy who
> thinks he's clever
> who brings up the idea of burying (though he doesn't
> know the term
> "bury"), thinking he's discovered some sort
> of flaw; that is, until I
> correct him.

One problem (or actually a good thing) with
strategies is that if there are strategies they
may not always be rational. In such a situation
hopefully we can recommend sincere voting to
all voters as a better alternative to confused
use of various strategies.

> It is from this personal experience that I have grown to
> believe
> resistance to burying essential. Again, this is purely
> anecdotal, and
> empirical research in this area would be helpful.

It is very difficult to defend against widespread
irrational use of strategies. Recommending sincere
voting may be a good approach. (Maybe people will
learn after spoiling some election and electing
some clearly unwanted candidate as a result of
burying all the reasonable competitors :-) .)

Juho