[EM] Why I Prefer IRV to Condorcet

Greg greg at somervilleirv.org
Sat Nov 22 10:02:17 PST 2008

Perhaps intuitiveness is a bit in the eyes of the beholder, but I'll
tell you the strategies I find intuitive:

- Burying a candidate with strong first choice support
- Bullet voting for a candidate with strong first choice support
- A compromise in which you switch your first choice vote to a
candidate who has stronger first choice support.

>From anecdotal personal experience, I actually think burying might be
the most intuitive of them all. Almost every university election I
voted for as an undergraduate used IRV. After each one, there was
often a person here or there who claimed to have voted for one
front-runner and buried the other front-runner on their ballot, not
aware that this had no effect on the outcome. Now, as I go around
teaching IRV to people, there's often some guy who thinks he's clever
who brings up the idea of burying (though he doesn't know the term
"bury"), thinking he's discovered some sort of flaw; that is, until I
correct him.

It is from this personal experience that I have grown to believe
resistance to burying essential. Again, this is purely anecdotal, and
empirical research in this area would be helpful.

Greg