[EM] name of multi-winner method

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sun Nov 16 02:48:53 PST 2008

Jobst Heitzig wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I forgot the name of the following multi-winner method:
>
> 1. Each candidate ranks all candidates, herself on top.
> 2. Each voter votes for one candidate.
> 3. The candidate who holds the smallest number of votes is excluded and
> her votes are transfered to the next candidate on her list who is still
> in the race.
> 4. Step 3 is repeated until the sought number of candidates remains.
>
> Does anyone know how this is called? Perhaps STV-something?

That's just the multiwinner adaptation of IRV. I don't think it has a
formal name, but here's how I've defined (naive) multiwinner adaptations
in my simulations:

Take single-winner method X. Produce a social ordering, then if there
are k winners to be elected, pick the k highest ranked on the social
ordering, and elect them.

The social ordering of IRV is opposite of its elimination order: the one
who's eliminated in the first round is ranked last, and so on.

--

That is, unless "the next candidate on her list" is the next candidate
on the *candidate*'s list, in which case it would be a sort of