[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 53, Issue 21

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 01:42:27 PST 2008

> > From: "James Gilmour" <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk>
> > If I have understood the various submissions correctly, the principal
> > objection to IRV on THIS ground, is that the ballot papers of voters
> > who express different numbers of preferences are thereby treated
> > differently, and in such a way and to such an extent that these
> > differences should render the IRV voting system "unconstitutional".

> Kathy Dopp  > Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 2:32 AM
> FALSE.

What is false in my statement?

> How many candidates are there likely to be in Minneapolis?

Of what possible relevance could the number of candidates in any particular election be to the evaluation of the general principles
of a voting system with regard to whether it treats different ballot papers (and hence voters) in different ways to such an extent
that the adoption of that voting system would be "unconstitutional"?

James Gilmour