[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 53, Issue 21

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 18:32:03 PST 2008

> Message: 8
> Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 16:20:10 -0000
> From: "James Gilmour" <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk>
> If I have understood the various submissions correctly, the principal objection to IRV on THIS ground, is that the ballot papers of
> voters who express different numbers of preferences are thereby treated differently, and in such a way and to such an extent that
> these differences should render the IRV voting system "unconstitutional".

FALSE.  Think about it Please off-list so you don't waste everyone's
email cycles.

How many candidates are there likely to be in Minneapolis?

How many candidates were in the last Minneapolis primary election?

How many candidates are the voters going to be ranking on a
Minneapolis RCV ballots according to Minneapolis statute?

Which number is less?

OK. Now do the arithmetic.

Kathy