[EM] Happy election day, fellow Americans

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 5 05:37:32 PST 2008

Hi,

Michael R wrote that you can call the county office to see if your vote
has been received.  But telephones don't generally work that way.  You
can call and hear someone tell you your vote was received.  Shouldn't
that be considered rather weak evidence?  Wouldn't the county and the
person you call have a strong incentive to claim your vote was counted
(and counted accurately) regardless of whether it was?  What evidence is
really available, and how hard is it for voters or election monitors to
inspect?

As for voting by mail, it also has minor downsides: votes can be coerced
or sold, and electioneering can occur near where someone is trying to
vote.  Hopefully those behaviors can't be large enough to make a difference.

When the Caltech/MIT Voting Project issued some voting system design
recommendations a few years ago, they ruled out publishing the votes in
a way that would make it possible for the voter to verify her vote was
counted accurately.  Mike Alvarez of Caltech told me the reason for that
decision was to make it impossible to coerce or sell votes.  I think
they overlooked an alternative: allowing each voter to submit multiple
votes that would all be verifiable by the voter, but only one would
count and only the voter would know which is the one that counts.  That
would solve the coercion/sale problems since the voter would be free to
also cast a "sincere" vote that negates the coerced/sold vote, which
would eliminate the value of coerced/bought votes, and thereby eliminate
the incentives to coerce or buy votes.

Regards,
Steve Eppley