[Election-Methods] method design challenge + new method AMP

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 9 01:42:02 PDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 10:46 , Jobst Heitzig wrote:

> Dear Raphfrk
>
> you wrote:
>> One issue with random processes is that they don't work well for a
>> legislature. A majority would just keep asking that the vote be
>> repeated until they win it.
>> Saying that a re-vote cannot occur unless the situation changes would
>> require that a definition of a change in the situation be decided.
>
> Alternatively, laws could be considered social contracts which have
> a duration and certain terms of termination which would have to be
> met by any later decisions to change the law.
>
>> Also, people have a certain level of distrust for random processes.
>> I don't think people would accept a President who was elected even
>> though he only had a 1% chance of winning. I am not sure what the
>> threshold is before it would be acceptable (some people would object
>> to a 49% candidate winning instead of a 51% candidate).
>
> This is probably true. I would not recommend such a method for
> elections of Presidents or the like but for bodies who frequently
> make individual decisions on issues.

Probabilistic methods are actually proportional methods (at least if
they aim at giving n% probability to a candidate with "n% support",
or some other probabilities that the voters like more). I don't know
what the other (non-proportional) methods should be called here since
"dictatorship of majority" is not valid in this particular case.
Maybe "always elect the best" (according to some criterion) is more
accurate.

Juho