[Election-Methods] method design challenge + new method AMP

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Fri May 9 00:46:57 PDT 2008

Dear Raphfrk

you wrote:
> One issue with random processes is that they don't work well for a
> legislature. A majority would just keep asking that the vote be
> repeated until they win it.
> Saying that a re-vote cannot occur unless the situation changes would
> require that a definition of a change in the situation be decided.

Alternatively, laws could be considered social contracts which have a duration and certain terms of termination which would have to be met by any later decisions to change the law.

> Also, people have a certain level of distrust for random processes.
> I don't think people would accept a President who was elected even
> though he only had a 1% chance of winning. I am not sure what the
> threshold is before it would be acceptable (some people would object
> to a 49% candidate winning instead of a 51% candidate).

This is probably true. I would not recommend such a method for elections of Presidents or the like but for bodies who frequently make individual decisions on issues.

Yours, Jobst