[Election-Methods] Ballots with cycles

Andrew Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 5 04:54:12 PST 2008

Suppose that in a Condorcet system, we allow people to submit a
ballot that has an arbitrary preference relation, so any two
alternative A and B can have either A<B, A=B, or A>B. There can
therefore be cycles in the graph of preferences, like A<B<C<A.

One reason why we might want to set up the system this way is that we
can protect voter privacy better by separating different preferences
during the tallying process.

The question is whether this creates new strategic voting
opportunities. I have not been able to construct a scenario where it
makes strategic voting more powerful.  Is this worse than burying
with ordinary ranked ballots?

-- Andrew