[Election-Methods] Determining representativeness of multiwinner methods

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 09:59:59 PDT 2008

I'm inclined to think the model where all voter groups get
representatives that closely reflect their views as the default
model. The model where the society is represented e.g. by a group of
centrists works in many cases but it has also some problem cases that
make it "an alternative" in my eyes.

Let's say there are three parties or segments: left (30%), centre
(40%) and right (30%). There may be decisions that require 75%
supermajority. If the left wing and right wing voters are (partly or
fully) represented by the centrist canduidates then they will lost
their minority position that would allow them to veto some major
decisions.

In many opinions left and right are two extremes that can be summed
up to a centrist opinion. In these cases we might as well let the
centre section decide. There may however be questions where right and
left have the same opinion (i.e. this issue is not on the traditional
left-right axis but in some other opinion space). Maybe they both
would like to give full rights to minorities in all matters while the
centre segment would be happier to exclude minorities in some areas.
Left and right have majority support among the voters but not among
the representatives.

It is also possible that the centre segment makes decisions that
benefit the centre. They might e.g. nominate all the key people in
central positions from the centre party.

On Jun 25, 2008, at 16:58 , Steve Eppley wrote:

> The argument that the public as a whole won't engage in robust
> debate is irrelevant, since robust debate takes place in many
> circles outside the legislature. (Internet email lists, for example.)

In the heat of the political debates the representatives might forget
the Internet email lists since their fellow representatives are
closer (and a problem that they want to solve first to get anywhere
with their proposals).

> Don't misconstrue my argument as pro status quo.  I favor inducing
> competition to be around the voters' medians by using Condorcetian
> voting methods such as MAM

Do you thus support single-winner methods for multi-winner elections?
(i.e. not full proportionality, and favouring large parties and not
the small ones) (maybe for U.S. but not for current multi-party
countries)

Juho Laatu