[Election-Methods] Determining representativeness of multiwinner methods

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 25 06:58:53 PDT 2008

Hi,

I don't find Terry's argument persuasive. (I used to believe it, years
ago before I studied voting methods.  I thought it was important to have
a "seat at the tables of power.")  The argument appears to assume
significant debate occurs only within the legislature and that members
of the legislature won't listen to expert witnesses and will listen only
to each other.  I don't accept either assumption.  The argument that the
public as a whole won't engage in robust debate is irrelevant, since
robust debate takes place in many circles outside the legislature.
(Internet email lists, for example.)

I don't think the "tackling" of issues, if that word merely means
holding hearings on them and possibly drafting legislation, is nearly as
important as the legislation that actually passes. (Which is what I
meant in my previous message that the legislature's decisions are what
matter, not its makeup.)

A counter-example to Terry's opinion is Kwame Mfuni, a former member of
the US House of Representatives who chose to leave the House to become
head of the NAACP because he felt he could accomplish more there than as
a member of a minority (the Democrats) in the House.

Terry's "observation" that Vermont would have been better represented by
a randomly selected legislature was not really an observation in the
strict sense, it was only a guess.

Don't misconstrue my argument as pro status quo.  I favor inducing
competition to be around the voters' medians by using Condorcetian
voting methods such as MAM--see my website at
alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley--or a multiwinner variant of MAM, or the
family of voting methods I call VPR (voting for a published ranking,
which is easiest for the voters and can be fairly easy to tally).  The
existing two party system is polarized, not (voter median) centrist, and
comparing proportional representation only to the two party system is a
false dichotomy.  If a majority of the people have the
social/moral/empathic sense that would lead them to want society to
collectively assist needy strangers (homeless, under-insured, jobless)
then a competitive majoritarian voting method would tend to elect mostly
candidates of that sort.  Conversely, if a majority do not have that
social sense, no voting method will compensate for it.

If we can return to the point I was making, Kristopher's definition of
representativeness is too narrow if it's the decisions of the
legislature that matter. (Even if Terry is right, his argument is
consistent with my point about decisions.)  Why not modify Kristopher's
simulations to compare the decisions of the legislature instead of its
makeup?

Going off on a tangent now, since Terry mentioned he was an elected
member of a third party...  I've often heard it said that third parties
have historically influenced the two main parties positively by raising
major issues neither party was addressing, followed by the claim that
thus third parties still serve a valuable purpose.  However, that
history was during the "bad old days" before the two main parties opened
their nominations to primary elections.  Nowadays, I reason, if a person
who leans toward the platform of a third party can't win nomination in a
primary election within one of the two main parties, s/he won't win the
general election either, and s/he can raise major issues during the
primary election.

Regards,
Steve