[Election-Methods] Dopp: 2. ?Requires centralized vote counting procedures at the state-level"

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 11:05:31 PDT 2008

Raphfrk, you are absolutely correct in your 99% supposition.  The voting system for the election of the President of Ireland is the
Single Transferable Vote (STV) applied to a single vacancy.  In current US-speak, that is "IRV".

The full counting rules are here:
  Presidential Elections Act, 1937
  THIRD SCHEDULE
  RULES FOR COUNTING THE VOTES.
     http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1937/en/act/pub/0032/gen_6.html#gen_6

Rule 5 deals with exclusions when no candidate has attained the quota.

Rule 5(3) permits the Returning Officer to exclude together the two or more candidates with the fewest votes when the total of their
votes is less than the number of votes held by the next highest candidate.

This is what happened in the 1997 election when three Independent candidates were excluded together at the second stage, and their
votes were transferred to the remaining two candidates.  That count has given some people the impression that the voting method is
the Contingent Vote.  But they have made that mistake simply because they do not understand how STV = IRV works.

The provision of Rule 5(3) is standard in all British and Irish versions of STV for manual counts.  The provision to exclude two or
more candidates together simplifies and shortens a manual count  -  much less paper handling.  Such a provision is not necessary if
you are using only computerised counting  -  but that is not the norm in the UK or Ireland.  So you will find the multiple-exclusion
provision in all of our versions of STV except for the version used for the Local Government elections in Scotland (which was
multi-member STV-PR and was computerised because of the WIGM rules for the transfers of surpluses).

The 1997 election is the ONLY Irish Presidential election in which there has been more than three candidates, so it is the only
election in which the exclusion rules could be applied fully.

Regards
James Gilmour

Checked by AVG.