[Election-Methods] Dopp: 3. “Encourages the use of complex voting systems and [FairVote promotes] electronic-balloting”

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Jun 12 15:10:12 PDT 2008

”

>Most government IRV elections are in fact
>conducted with hand-count paper ballots,
>including national elections in Australia,
>Ireland and Papua New Guinea. FairVote is a
>leading advocacy organization for IRV, but it is
>joined in supporting IRV by numerous other
>organizations and individuals, including the
>founders of TrueVote Maryland, and election
>integrity leaders David Cobb and Anthony Lorenzo.
>As to FairVote, it advocates the replacement of
>all paperless voting machines with paper-ballot
>systems, such as optical scanners. All three of
>the major voting machine vendors have created
>optical scan options for ranked-choice ballots.
>Not all of these are ideal (some, for example,
>cannot handle more than three rankings), but
>FairVote expects IRV elections to be
>overwhelming run on paper ballot systems in the
>future. FairVote advocates that all such
>machines store a redundant electronic record of
>each ballot, as well as a paper ballot to allow
>for better fraud detection, and to simplify
>ranked ballot tabulations. Rather than making
>such elections more complicated, this would
>simplify the process, while improving transparency and integrity.

This is a repeat of the last issue to some
extent. Voting security experts are generally
concerned with the increasing reliance of the
voting systems on computers. *Computers are
extraordinarily complex, they are the most
complex machines and systems ever made.*  There
are some who go so far as to advocate entirely
manual systems of counting votes. While IRV can
certainly be hand-counted. it's difficult to sell
it in the U.S. for hand counting, and there are a
number of jurisdictions which have approved IRV
"pending implementation." And until the money
arrives with the political will is there for
spending it, there is no IRV. Those places have
voting equipment that could handle other, simpler
voting reforms, such as Approval, Bucklin Voting
(now called Fallback Voting by Steven J. Brams),
Borda Count, or Range Voting, and the general
agreement among voting systems experts -- as
distinct from "political scientists" -- is that
these other methods are superior to IRV. Because
the other methods simply involve counting the
marks on the ballot, in each position, they are
all easier to count and to audit.

Consider an IRV audit. It's not enough to look at
the totals for each rank. One has to look at each
round, the ballots transferred in that round,
which means that the ballots contain pairs of
marks, many different pairs. Suppose A is
eliminated. On some ballots A might be in first
position, on some in second position, on some in
third position, and so forth. Then each of those
ballots, where A is eliminated, there is the
candidate in next position. The exact sequence of
eliminations that took place in the original
election must be followed. Compare this with just
counting the marks in each position and adding
them up. And FairVote activists can deny the
complexity issue with a straight face? It's
complex. The questions, properly, should be, "Is
it worth it?" "Are there other possible reforms
that might accomplish similar goals that are less
complex or less expensive? "If we are going to
change, shouldn't we decide on the best reform by
careful comparison of all the options?" FairVote
only wants us to think about IRV vs. Plurality,
on the one hand, or IRV vs. Top-two runoff, on
the other. And the arguments they give for the
two situations are quite different. Against
Plurality, they point out the spoiler effect, and
the desirability of a majority. Since top-two
runoff does fix the spoiler effect -- as well as
IRV -- they talk expense, for the most part. But
they also talk "majority," and manipulate the
meaning of the word to make it appear that IRV
finds majorities, when the fact is that it does not and top-two runoff does.

But we start to go too far afield. IRV is complex
to count, far more complex than other systems.

”

”

”

”

”

>If the Electoral College were abolished and IRV
>were then adopted for future national popular
>vote elections for president, there would need
>to be national coordination of the tally in
>order to know which candidates got the fewest
>votes nationwide and needed to be eliminated –
>just as in Ireland. But the actual counting of
>ballots does not need to be federalized any more
>than if IRV was not used, and could be conducted
>by counties, states or whatever level is easiest
>and most secure for that jurisdiction. Note that
>voters certainly would be pleased to have a
>majority winner in elections for our highest office.
>
>10. Dopp: “IRV entrenches the two-major-political party system
”

>IRV neither "entrenches" nor "overthrows" the
>two-party system. It simply ensures no candidate
>wins over majority opposition. If a minor party
>has the support to earn a majority of vote, it
>can win in an IRV election. If not, it will not win.
>
>IRV is a winner-take-all method, like plurality
>voting and two-round runoffs. However, IRV
>allows independents and candidates with minor
>parties to run without being labeled as
>spoilers. This may reveal a higher level of
>support for these parties, and if these parties
>are attractive to voters, their support may grow.
>Relating to multi-party representation, any
>winner-take-all, single seat election method
>tends towards two dominant parties, at least in
>any given geographic area. To allow for multiple
>parties to regularly win office, jurisdictions
>should adopt a form of proportional
>representation in which candidates will be able
>to win office with less than 50% of the vote.
>
>Note that Australia’s IRV elections are often
>cited as an example of two-party domination. But
>while the two major parties (one of which is
>divided into two parties, with one party running
>in one particular region of the country)
>dominant representation, the minor parties
>contest elections very vigorously, with an
>average of seven candidates contesting house
>elections in 2007. That year the Green Party did
>not win any seats in house elections, but it ran
>candidates in every district and earned 8% of
>the national vote. It naturally would prefer a
>proportional representation system, but supports
>IRV over alternate winner-take-all systems and
>uses it to elect its internal leaders.
>
>11. Dopp: "Could deliver unreasonable outcomes
."

”

”

"

>Actually, just the opposite is true, so long as
>paper ballots (such as optical scan) are used.
>The reason that any attempts at fraud are easier
>to detect with IRV is that there is a redundant
>electronic record (called a ballot image) of
>each ballot that can be matched one-to-one with
>the corresponding paper ballot. Cities such as
>San Francisco (CA) and Burlington (VT) release
>these ballot files so that any voter can do
>their own count. Without such redundant ballot
>records (which are not typical with vote-for-one
>elections) there is no way to know for certain
>if the paper ballots have been altered prior to a recount.
>
>15. Dopp: “Violates some election fairness principles
."

>This charge reveals either a general lack of
>understanding, or intentional
>miss-representation. Every single voting method
>ever devised must violate some "fairness
>principles" as some of these criteria are
>mutually exclusive. Dopp's example in appendix B
>of "Arrow's fairness condition" (the Pareto
>Improvement Criterion) completely misunderstands
>the criterion, and gives an example that has no
>relevance to it (and contrary to her
>implication, IRV complies with this criterion).
>IRV works essentially the same as a traditional
>runoff election to find a majority winner. When
>the field narrows to the two finalists in the
>final instant runoff count, the candidate with
>more support (ranked more favorably on more
>ballots) will always win. Some theoretical
>voting methods may satisfy some "fairness'
>criteria, such as monotonicity, but then violate
>other more important criteria such as the
>majority criterion, or the later-no-harm criterion.
>
>Endnotes
>
><1> The rank order ballot used in instant runoff
>voting (and other voting systems) is known by
>political scientists as the "single transferable
>vote" or STV. This balloting procedure has been
>consistently upheld in United States courts as
>constitutional and upholding the "one person,
>one vote" principle. As an example, here is what
>the Michigan Court ruled in upholding the use of
>instant runoff voting in an Ann Arbor, Michigan
>Mayoral race in a 1975 challenge:
>
>"Under the "M.P.V. System" [IRV], however, no
>one person or voter has more than one effective
>vote for one office. No voter's vote can be
>counted more than once for the same candidate.
>In the final analysis, no voter is given greater
>weight in his or her vote over the vote of
>another voter, although to understand this does
>require a conceptual understanding of how the
>effect of a "M.P.V. System" is like that of a
>run-off election. The form of majority
>preferential voting employed in the City of Ann
>Arbor's election of its Mayor does not violate
>the one-man, one-vote mandate nor does it
>deprive anyone of equal protection rights under
>the Michigan or United States Constitutions."
>
>page 11, Stephenson v Ann Arbor Board of City Canvassers File No. 75-10166 AW
>Michigan Circuit Court for the County of Jackson
>
>The Judge also observed on page 7,
>
>"Each voter has the same right at the time he
>casts his or her ballot. Each voter has his or
>her ballot counted once in any count that
>determines whether one candidate has a majority
>of the votes. . . . Far better to have the
>People's will expressed more adequately in this
>fashion, than to wonder what would have been the
>results of a run-off election not provided for."

to be continued with "Dopp: 4. “Confuses voters
”"