[Election-Methods] Why monotonicity? (was: Smith + mono-add-top?)

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Wed Jan 2 06:08:54 PST 2008

Dear Steve!

Many times I was angry when an otherwise nice looking method turned out not to satisfy basic monotonicity criteria. This is partly because my experience tells me that lacking monotonicity is often an indicator that something else may be problematic with the method, too. Often, non-monotonic methods turn out to have strategic vulnerabilities, too.

Also, it seems difficult to sell a method when you must admit that advancing an option X may actually reduce X's winning probability...

Yours, Jobst