[Election-Methods] Why monotonicity? (was: Smith + mono-add-top?)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Jan 1 23:24:48 PST 2008

Before diving into the jungle:
      Each voter ranks candidates at as many ranks as chosen, assigning
one or more candidates at each rank.
      The above information from all the ballots in a race can be recorded
in an array and analyzed by Condorcet rules to determine winner.
      The information can be recorded in multiple arrays such as for
precincts, and the arrays summed for exactly the same results, provided
all the ballot information from all the ballots is included.
      Provided cycles are not involved, and all the ballot information is
recorded in two or more arrays, and those arrays indicate the same winner,
then the single full array better indicate that same winner.
      Ballots are not part of the analysis, once their information has
been recorded in an array.

This should agree with what the complex words below should be trying to say.
      Does not promise what might happen with a sorta-Condorcet election
that extracts other ballot information.

As to "closed" primary elections:
      They make sense to me for Plurality general elections.
      Defense might be to do away with Primaries for Condorcet general
elections, which get little benefit from such.

DWK

                  If you want peace, work for justice.