[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Smith + mono-add-top? example

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jan 1 07:41:54 PST 2008

Diego,

I coded your method, although it only operates on random matrices and
doesn't generate actual ballots.

Here's a mono-add-top failure:

 0    111.6 ^ 134.2 <
 131.8 < 0    103 ^
 113.3 ^ 132.8 < 0
B win over A dqd due to loss to C
Santos set: A
CW among Santos set: A

Add 20 A>B ballots

 0    131.6 ^ 154.2 <
 131.8 < 0    123 ^
 113.3 ^ 132.8 < 0
B win over A dqd due to loss to C
C win over B dqd due to loss to A
Santos set: AB
CW among Santos set: B

Also, when there are 4+ candidates there seem to be situations where your
method specifies to elect the CW where one has not been created:

 0    118.3 < 112.1 ^ 107.3 ^
 111.1 ^ 0    134.5 < 131.2 <
 125 < 119.9 ^ 0    133.8 <
 109.4 < 129.1 ^ 131.9 ^ 0
A win over B dqd due to loss to C
B win over D dqd due to loss to A
C win over A dqd due to loss to B
C win over D dqd due to loss to B
D win over A dqd due to loss to B
Santos set: ABD
CW among Santos set: None

Let me know if you believe I have coded something incorrectly.

If it's hard to tell, the value of (row,column) is the number of votes
received by candidate row against candidate column. The < and ^ punctuation
indicate whether the row or column candidate won that contest.

Kevin Venzke