[EM] Does IRV elect "majority winners?"

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Tue Dec 30 15:59:09 PST 2008

I take offense at Abd repeatedly suggesting I am a liar or am engaging in
deception. We have a legitimate difference of opinion about the
appropriate use of the term "majority" and interpretation of RRONR.

At the outset, we might all agree that no system can really assure a
_true_ "majority winner" in an ultimate sense, since there may be a tie,
or there may simply be no candidate running who a majority of voters can
abide. The core of my argument is that if the winner of a traditional
two-round runoff system (without write-ins) is appropriately called a
"majority winner," so can the winner of an instant runoff election.

The term "majority" simply means more than half, and it is regularly
applied to different denominators...a "majority" of the entire membership,
"majority" of those present and voting, "majority" in the second round of
a runoff system, etc. In governmental elections we generally use the
short-hand "majority" without specifying all of the exclusions from the
denominator. Abd is insisting that uniquely for IRV elections, we should
list the exclusions (i.e.. "a majority of unexhausted ballots," or "a
majority of those who expressed a preference between the final two
candidates", etc.). It is acceptable to make this detailed explanation,
but not necessary in normal speech. In a typical U.S. governmental runoff
election we do not list the exclusions from the denominator when naming a
majority winner...We do not say "Jane Smith won with a majority, excluding
those who were eligible but did not register to vote, or registered but
did not cast a ballot, or cast a ballot but skipped the race, or that
ballot was blank, or spoiled, or illegal, or contained identifying marks,
and excluding those who may have participated in the first round of voting
but not the second." We just say she was the "majority winner."

Abd accepts that the winner of a top-two runoff (TTR) system (without
write-ins) is appropriately called a "majority winner," but not
necessarily the winner of an instant runoff. He treats the "majority
winner" of a two-round runoff as somehow better, or more valid.
Ironically, it is typical for the winner of an IRV runoff to have won more
total votes within a given jurisdiction and have a larger majority
threshold to reach, than a "majority winner" of a two-round runoff, simply
due to higher voter participation resulting from a single trip to the
polls (yes, I know this is not an absolute as separate runoffs do on rare
occasions have higher turnout).  One essential difference between these
two "majority winners" is simply the duration of time between the
beginning and ending of he candidate marking process, in that the IRV
ballot allows the voter to complete the task in a single visit to the
polls. (Yes, I know voters also get to have a "second-look," etc. but that
is irrelevant to the "majority" issue here).

A top two runoff system, JUST LIKE IRV, finds a "majority winner" by
excluding from the denominator any voters who expressed a preference in
the first round of counting, but whose preferred candidate gets eliminated
and who express no preference between the two final candidates for the
final round of counting.

Let me set out some thought experiments (these are silly, perhaps, but are
presented to illustrate an underlying point.)...

1. First, I still think my interpretation of RRONR's use of the word
"abstention" is sound (that not indicating any preference between
finalists can reasonably be deemed an abstention that RRONR says should
NOT be counted in the denominator). Note that on page 394 in the section
on the "Right of Abstention" RRONR points out that in an at-large election
a voter may "partially abstain" by marking fewer candidates than allowed.
In other words, the voter has participated in the election with some marks
for some candidates, but may still be said to "abstain" from some aspect
of that contest. Thus Abd's insistence that under RRONR a ballot with some
candidates marked cannot also be an abstention is incorrect.

Abd agrees that RRONR says to treat "each segment of a ballot" separately
in considering blanks and abstentions. I have argued that each possible
pairwise final runoff combination is functionally the same as a separate
segment of the ballot.

To explain...imagine if the IRV ballots were inefficiently, but logically,
divided into a series of questions or segments as follows:
Section A. Rank the candidates in the order you would prefer they be
included as finalists in a runoff count.
Jane    1  2  3  4
Mary   1  2  3  4
Stan    1  2  3  4
Dave   1  2  3  4

Section B. In each possible final runoff pairing below mark an "x" for the
one candidate you would prefer.
(1) Jane __  vs. Mary__
(2) Jane __ vs. Stan __
(3) Jane __ vs. Dave__
(4) Mary__ vs. Stan __
(5) Mary__ vs. Dave__
(6) Stan __ vs. Dave__

Now suppose a voter completely marks the ballot except in segment B. (4)
of this unusual, but functional, IRV ballot where the voter abstains and
votes for neither Mary nor Stan in that possible match-up. Further suppose
the elimination process from the first segment of the ballot results in a
final runoff tally between Mary and Stan. This voter has clearly abstained
from that particular question or segment of the ballot. This is the same
as the exhausted ballot situation on a normal ranked ballot, except that
the series of pairwise questions is extrapolated from the initial
rankings, rather than asked redundantly.

2. Secondly, I assert that the top-two-runoff generally functions, de
facto, as a single election system with two stages, and not two completely
independent elections. I suspect you will argue this point, but I think it
is a reasonable assessment on my part, since the total purpose is to have
voters fill an office. Voters may abstain in the first, second, both, or
neither of the stages. In the first round, let's say all 10,000 eligible
voters cast valid ballots. In the second round, perhaps 5,000 voters opt
not to participate, and 5,000 cast valid ballots. the winner of the runoff
might have 2,501 votes in this round. That is clearly a "majority" of the
ballots cast in the final round, but clearly NOT a majority among voters
who cast ballots and participated in the election process to fill the
seat. Even though the winner might receive fewer votes in the runoff than
the ultimate loser received in the first round (which can never happen
with IRV), and a huge majority of all voters who participated in some way
in this election process may consider the ultimate winner to be the worst
choice, we generally say the winner is a "majority winner" because we
exclude the voters who abstained in the final round. The denominator used
is the number of voters who opted to express their preference between the
finalists, not the number of voters who voted in the process and may have
voted for losing candidates at the earlier stage. Abd has expressed
agreement with this interpretation of a "majority winner" in the second
stage of a traditional runoff.

Now what if the second stage of balloting followed immediately upon the
first stage, while an association's members were still assembled? Most
would agree that those who now don't participate in the runoff stage or
express any preference between the finalists should not be included in
calculating the majority threshold. A voter who passed in a ballot for the
runoff without any marks showing her preference between the two finalists
would  have her ballot counted as an abstention or blank and it would not
be included in the denominator. Perhaps each voter could even have their
original ballot redistributed to them to make their subsequent choice in
some way -- so it need not be a "separate" ballot paper. Now what if all
of the voters were voting simultaneously (perhaps on hand-held devices
linked by wireless RF). As the voter is pressing the first-choice button
for one candidate the voting device indicates (after reading all voters'
simultaneous first choices,) that this candidate has just been eliminated.
The voter proceeds to push a second choice, and the device shows that this
candidate has also just been eliminated, etc. Once the voter decides not
to give any more choices, that voter is "abstaining" from any further
inclusion in the decision process, and the denominator for calculating a
majority threshold. Now suppose the hand-held device only _appears_ to be
linked to the master computer in real-time, and the device automatically
reports to all voters that their first choice has been eliminated (without
any actual factual basis), and all voters have the opportunity to indicate
their second choice, and so on. Whether or not the device is linked, it
can ask for the same information from the voters about next choices _as
if_ their prior choice actually were eliminated. Now we have exactly
replicated the essence of an IRV voting process, getting to it in a
gradual transition from a two-round voting process, or from an exhaustive
ballot voting system, showing that there is no FUNDAMENTAL difference, as
long as the voter is entitled to rank as many choices as she wishes. We
still have a "majority winner," as the term is generally used, whether the
runoff choices are marked on a ballot by voters a month apart, or seconds
apart.

The one point on which I long ago agreed with Abd is that if an
implementation of IRV has imposed restrictions on the number of rankings
the voter may make (due to inadequate voting technology, for example),
there is a genuine difference between a two-round runoff "majority" and a
possible winner of such an imperfect implementation of IRV. I can not go
back and correct historic claims made by others, but I myself long ago
stopped saying such imperfect implementations "assured" majority winners.

Terry Bouricius