[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Mon Dec 29 17:50:20 PST 2008

Kathy Dopp wrote:

<snip>
since "abstentions or blanks" are from those who have not voted.
<snip>

I believe my interpretation of Robert's Rules of Order is correct. In
order for a ballot being reviewed by a teller to be "blank," and thus
excluded from the majority threshold calculation, as directed by Robert's
Rule of order, the voter must certainly have submitted a ballot paper.
RRONR is clearly not referring to hypothetical ballots from those members
of an association who did not submit a ballot at all. Those who do not
submit a ballot clearly did not vote, but those who cast ballots may
abstain or leave the ballot blank, and thus not have their ballots
included when calculating the majority threshold. The only question is
whether an exhausted ballot should be interpreted as abstaining on the
question of which finalist should win, or if that ballot should be
interpreted as an "illegal vote," which RRONR says should be included in
calculating the majority threshold. One can think of the ranked ballot as
a series of questions about pairwise contests...not unlike the way a
Condorcet ballot is viewed... one of the questions could be IF the race
comes down to a final runoff between candidate C and candidate E, which
should win? The difference between IRV and Condorcet is that IRV uses a
sequential algorithm to determine  which candidates are finalists, while
Condorcet does not reduce to "finalists" at all. However, if a voter has
indicated no ranking for either C or E, that voter has effectively
abstained from that particular question. Since the voter who voluntarily
truncates is de facto abstaining from deciding which finalist should be
elected, if the voter has indicated no preference between them, I think it
is reasonable to treat this abstention as an abstention as directed by
RRONR.

While I agree that it may not be completely UNresonable to take the view
that Abd and Kathy Dopp favor, I think it is contrary to the most usual
interpretation of RRONR.

Terry Bouricius