[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sun Dec 28 09:02:18 PST 2008

Abd,

I don't want to re-hash our Wikipedia argument about whether an exhausted
ballot in a full-ranking-possible IRV election should be treated as an
abstention -- like a stay-home voter in a runoff (excluded from the
denominator), or treated as a vote for none-of-the-above (included in the
denominator), in deciding whether the winner has "a majority." I will
simply say, that I have not resorted to "deception," in any of my writing
about IRV and majority winners.

I am, however, interested in your statement:
 <snip>
"It's simply a fact: top two runoff is associated with multiparty systems,
IRV with strong two-party systems."

I take it, that your use of the word "associated" means you are not
actually claiming any causality, correct? Can you give examples of
countries that use only winner-take-all Top-Two Runoffs (TTR) elections
(and no form of PR) that has a multi-party democracy (by which I mean that
more than two parties regularly succeed in electing candidates). It seems
to me that the distinction you are trying to make between TTR and IRV in
terms of multi-party democracy is specious, as both are winner-take-all
and inevitably not conducive to multi-party democracy...What matters is
whether the country uses a form of PR for legislative elections,
regardless of what method is in place for electing single-seat executives.

Terry