[EM] Write-in Candidate Rules

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 04:19:53 PST 2008

Jonathan Lundell  > Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 1:50 AM
> In California, I see a couple of significant differences. There's no
> filing fee (or signatures in lieu of fee) for a write-in candidate,
> and a  write-in candidate can bypass the party primary.

No filing fee - OK, but the statement about signatures puzzles me.
In the "Summary of Qualifications and Requirements for Write-In Candidates" to which you provided a link, it says:

D. Nomination Papers
1. The required number of signers to a write-in candidate’s nomination paper for the respective offices are as follows:
a. United State Senator: 65-100
b. Member of House of Representatives, State Legislative Office: Not less than 40 nor more than 60.

So there would appear to be a requirement for a very modest number of signatures.  Or have I misunderstood something?

James