[EM] Write-in Candidate Rules

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Dec 26 19:17:31 PST 2008

Fact that the label we are discussing, "write-ins", has been used for a CA
purpose should not be allowed to interfere with our trying for something
usable throughout the US.

The CA document is worth studying for useful thought - but deserves care to
avoid what they say that does not fit our needs.

DWK

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 23:40:35 -0000 James Gilmour wrote:
> Subject changed: was > Subject: Re: [EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2
>
> Jonathan Lundell  > Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 5:58 PM
>
>>California write-in rules lie somewhere in that gap. Here's a sample:
>>http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/cand_qual_wi.pdf
>>These requirements must be met in order for write-in votes to be  counted.
>

> Having read quickly through these rules, I don't see clearly how a "write-in candidate" is different from a "nominated candidate".
> Both must formally register their candidacy by the due date, all the information is public before the election, both must keep
> proper registered accounts of their election expenses.  There is nothing informal about this process.
>
> Maybe the rules on "write-ins" are quite different in other States?
>
> James
                  If you want peace, work for justice.