[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Dec 26 14:32:04 PST 2008

Dave Ketchum  > Sent: Friday, December 26, 2008 3:15 AM
> > On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 14:25:09 -0000 James Gilmour wrote:
> > Yes, all the marked preferences will allow the voter's one vote to be
> > used in as many pair-wise comparisons as the voter wishes to
> > participate in.
> >
> Voter "wishes" do not matter.  Voter explicit ranking does count:
>       No count for equal ranking, whether voter assigned equal ranking, or
> ranked neither.
>       Count every pair with different ranks, whether one or both are ranked
> by voter.

Maybe my use here of "wishes" caused some confusion.  All I meant was the preferences the voter had and wished to express, i.e. that
the voter may not mark preferences for all the candidates.  Indeed, a voter should never mark preferences he or she does not have.

Suppose there are six candidates (A - F) and the voter marks preferences for only three of them (A, B and C).  That voter has given
a clear vote in all the pair wise comparisons involving A, B or C.  But that voter has given no vote that could be used in the pair
wise comparisons involving only D, E and F.  That voter has opted out if the choice has to be made between D and E, or between D and
F, or between E and F.  That what I meant by "one vote to be used in as many pair-wise comparisons as the voter wishes to
participate in".

James