[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Dec 26 09:46:41 PST 2008

We have a nominee list with much of the formality you describe.

Then we have write-ins, with very little formality.

James frowns on such, saying that the UK properly demands more formality in
dealing with the needed exceptions to normal nomination.

I agree that present write-ins are too informal, nominations are too formal
to cover all needs, and UK thoughts might help us with doing something to
fill the gap.

DWK

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:56:22 +0000 (GMT) Juho Laatu wrote:
> One approach that is used in practice and
> that to some extent avoids the problems of
>
> - "few random votes to random people"
> - difficulty to identify to whom the votes actually are meant
> - votes to people that do not want to be candidates
> - having too many candidates
>
> is to require people to collect an agreed
> number of names of supporters (and
> candidate's agreement) to get their
> candidate on the candidate list.
>
> Juho
>

> --- On Fri, 26/12/08, Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 14:55:23 -0000 James Gilmour wrote:
>>
>>>Incidentally, my personal view is that there should be
>>
>>no provision for "write-ins" at all in public
>>elections.  If I am not
>>
>>>prepared to declare myself as candidate and be
>>
>>nominated in the same way as all the other candidates, I
>>cannot see any reason why
>>
>>>anyone should take me seriously.  If my
>>
>>"friends" think I would be the best person to do
>>the job, they should come and tell me and
>>
>>>persuade me to stand, nominate me, and then campaign
>>
>>like fury to get me elected.
>>
>>Worth some thought:
>>
>>I think "nominate" has been thoroughly defined,
>>and should not be changed as part of this debate.
>>
>>Something such as "authorized for write-in" could
>>be developed:
>>     Approved by candidate BEFORE the election.  This would
>>outlaw some of the present nonsense.
>>     Perhaps James could offer useful thought.
>>
>>>James
                  If you want peace, work for justice.